This project has two phases:
1. Workshop phase – Open to all qualified students who apply
2. Research Phase – Open to students who successfully complete the workshop phase
Workshop phase –
Day/Time: Every Saturday starting July 12 t August 30, 9am to 4pm
Place: York College, Room AC-2E03B
Open to all qualified students who apply
Two 8 week workshops in July and August
1) Android software development workshop – 4 hours per week
- This workshop prepares students with tools to write applications.
- Covers basics of writing applications for android platforms.
- Hands on workshop and has several required lab assignments.
- Students will need to spend 4 hours outside the workshop to complete
2) MobilityFirst Future Internet Architecture – 2 hours per week
- This workshop prepares students for research
- Covers conceptual details of one of the Future Internet Architecture projects that has its home at Rutgers University
- This is a theoretical workshop and has bi-weekly reading and writing assignments
Students will need to spend 2 hours outside the workshop to complete assignments
Research Phase – September 1st to November 28th
Open to students who successfully complete both workshops – 6 students will be selected
- Students will work in teams of two to develop social network applications on android platforms
- Each team will use the MobilityFirst Native Development Kit to build applications that allow communication when the Internet infrastructure is not available
- Students will attend weekly group meetings which includes a brief seminar talk and team presentations of progress. These are formal events and each team must prepare slide shows for its presentation
- Each team will have 2 to 3 reading and writing assignments during this phase
- Each student will be expected to work 10 hours a week and like any other on-campus job, they will be compensated for their time.